You'll love chewy M&M cookies, which are packed with butter, brown sugar and an extra egg yolk to increase the chewiness.
No need to chill the dough-- you can bake chocolate mm cookies as soon as the cookie dough is ready.
You can customize these cookies for the holidays with Valentine or Christmas or Halloween themed shell candies.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I'll earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See disclosure.
These M&M cookies remind me of cookies that are sold at the malls. Really good and chewy and stuffed with M&M candy. We have just a couple of malls in Maine so if I want a mall cookie, I pretty much have to bake it myself.
This was also inspired by my recipe for Easy Chewy M&M Cookie Bars on this site, and pairs well with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. If you like bar cookies, try my recipe for Magic Cookie Bars. Or these Copycat S'mores Bars.
Keep reading for more Valentine's Day recipes that my fellow bloggers have shared for luscious pink drinks and treats.
- all purpose flour
- sea salt
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- egg yolk
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- M&M candies
See recipe card for quantities.
Measure your dry ingredients--flour, salt, baking soda and baking power in a small bowl--and set aside.
Cream the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract together.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and stir or mix until just combined and you don't see any more white streaks of flour remaining.
Stir in the M&Ms.
You can start baking these cookies right away, no need to chill the dough.
Add M&M candy to the cookie dough and stir until combined.
Hint: Don't over bake these cookies. They'll be lightly golden in color and slightly puffed when done. Cookies continue baking after you remove them from the oven so if you wait until they look thoroughly baked to remove them, you may end up baking cookies for too long.
- Brown sugar - if you don't have brown sugar, you can use all granulated sugar just know that the moisture in brown sugar contributes to a cookie's chewiness so these won't be as chewy if you're using all white sugar.
- Butter - if you're out of butter or don't want to use butter, you could substitute margarine, however, the resulting cookies won't be nearly as delicious. I really don't recommend.
- Vanilla extract-in this recipe, there's really no substitute for vanilla extract but if you're out, you can leave out the extract. Most taste buds won't notice difference the omission.
- Chocolate chips - Some people like a chocolate chip M&M cookie combination. You can swap half the M&M's for chocolate chips if you like. Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
- If you're making these cookies for a holiday like Valentine's Day, you could adorn them with a few Valentine's Day sprinkles before baking.
These cookies should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for no more than three days. They really start to lose quality after that.
Or, freeze the dough in freezer-safe containers for up to three months.
Portion out scoops of dough, lay on a cookie sheet and freeze before putting in a freezer safe container. That way you can take out just a few cookies at a time to bake fresh.
Don't overbake these cookies, they'll dry out. They'll continue baking for a couple minutes after you remove them from the oven.
- 1 ½ cups of flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M candies plus ¼ to ½ cup for topping cookies
- Measure dry ingredients flour through salt and place in a small bowl.
- Beat butter in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer for two minutes or until creamy.
- Add sugars and beat on medium speed for three minutes or until lighter in color and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to dough and mix or stir until just combined.
- Add M&Ms and beat on low speed unil candies are incorporated.