You'll love chewy M&M cookies, which are packed with butter, brown sugar and an extra egg yolk to increase the chewiness.
No need to chill the dough-- you can bake chocolate mm cookies as soon as the cookie dough is ready.
You can customize these cookies for the holidays with Valentine or Christmas or Halloween themed shell candies.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I'll earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See disclosure.
These M&M cookies remind me of cookies that are sold at the malls. Really good and chewy and stuffed with M&M candy. We have just a couple of malls in Maine so if I want a mall cookie, I pretty much have to bake it myself.
This was also inspired by my recipe for Easy Chewy M&M Cookie Bars on this site, and pairs well with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. If you like bar cookies, try my recipe for Magic Cookie Bars. Or these Copycat S'mores Bars.
Keep reading for more Valentine's Day recipes that my fellow bloggers have shared for luscious pink drinks and treats.
- all purpose flour
- sea salt
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- egg yolk
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- M&M candies
See recipe card for quantities.
You make M&M cookies like any other drop cookie dough, like Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies or Christina Tosi's Cornflake Cookies or White Chocolate Candy Corn cookies.
Measure your dry ingredients--flour, salt, baking soda and baking power in a small bowl--and set aside.
Cream the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract together.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and stir or mix until just combined and you don't see any more white streaks of flour remaining.
Stir in the M&Ms.
You can start baking these cookies right away, no need to chill the dough.
Add M&M candy to the cookie dough and stir until combined.
Hint: Don't over bake these cookies. They'll be lightly golden in color and slightly puffed when done. Cookies continue baking after you remove them from the oven so if you wait until they look thoroughly baked to remove them, you may end up baking cookies for too long.
- Brown sugar - if you don't have brown sugar, you can use all granulated sugar just know that the moisture in brown sugar contributes to a cookie's chewiness so these won't be as chewy if you're using all white sugar.
- Butter - if you're out of butter or don't want to use butter, you could substitute margarine, however, the resulting cookies won't be nearly as delicious. I really don't recommend.
- Vanilla extract-in this recipe, there's really no substitute for vanilla extract but if you're out, you can leave out the extract. Most taste buds won't notice difference the omission.
- Chocolate chips - Some people like a chocolate chip M&M cookie combination. You can swap half the M&M's for chocolate chips if you like. Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
- If you're making these cookies for a holiday like Valentine's Day, you could adorn them with a few Valentine's Day sprinkles before baking.
These cookies should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for no more than three days. They really start to lose quality after that.
Or, freeze the dough in freezer-safe containers for up to three months.
Portion out scoops of dough, lay on a cookie sheet and freeze before putting in a freezer safe container. That way you can take out just a few cookies at a time to bake fresh.
I really like these cookie dough freezer safe containers.
Don't overbake these cookies, they'll dry out. They'll continue baking for a couple minutes after you remove them from the oven.
Chewy M&M Cookies
Chewy M&M cookies are packed with butter, brown sugar and an extra egg yolk to increase the chew factor. You’ll love these easy drop cookies. The dough doesn't need to be chilled and you can customize the cookies for holidays with Valentine M&Ms or Christmas or 4th of July themed M&M candies.
- 1 ½ cups of flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M candies plus ¼ to ½ cup for topping cookies
- Measure dry ingredients flour through salt and place in a small bowl.
- Beat butter in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer for two minutes or until creamy.
- Add sugars and beat on medium speed for three minutes or until lighter in color and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to dough and mix or stir until just combined.
- Add M&Ms and beat on low speed unil candies are incorporated.
Valentine's Day Drinks and Treat Recipes
Valentine's Day is something to celebrate, whether you're single or married or somewhere in between. You have a list here of some perfect festive Valentine Day recipes from some of my favorite bloggers.
Valentine’s Day Heart Shaped Meringue Cookies
These meringue cookies are tinted pink and piped in a heart shape for an adorable Valentine’s Day treat. In this post, we’ll also answer all of your burning meringue cookie recipe questions: How long do meringue cookies last? Can you make meringue cookies without cream of tartar? How you should store your meringue cookies?
Mocktails can be just as fun to design and drink as cocktails. This delicious and fresh Raspberry Mocktail is proof of that, combining fresh lemon juice, homemade raspberry syrup and raspberry herbal tea.
Pink Gin Sour cocktail using Empress 1908 Gin
This beautiful and refreshing cocktail is a result of using Empress 1908 Gin and lemon juice. The color-changing effect of the gin will lead to a beautiful pink color when the cocktail comes together!
Strawberry White Chocolate Blondies
Juicy White Chocolate Strawberry Blondies are summer in a bar. But also great for Valentine's Day! They are subtly sweet and fabulously buttery. Each bite fills your senses with a smooth taste that you will never forget. It is a mouthwatering treat that you deserve to taste
Refreshing Strawberry Lassi (Single Serve)
Strawberry lassi is refreshing, light, protein-rich, and yogurt-based healthy summer drink. But, it's also a great pink drink or breakfast for Valentine's Day. Using 4 ingredients it gets ready in just 10 minutes.
My family would rather eat these than any fancy sort of dessert I'd make. Nothing better than cookies studded with chocolate---especially if they're chewy!
JENNIFER R OSBORN
Thanks Liz. Nothing beats a good cookie for dessert, in my book anyway!
You had me at chewy...just how I like cookies. I saved the pin to bake it with my granddaughter.
Thanks Amanda, please let me know how they turn out if you make them.
This post was very helpful for my family valentine celebration!! Thank you for sharing so many great recipes!!
JENNIFER R OSBORN
Oh yay! I'm so happy to hear this Katrina! Thank you.
Let me know if there's ever a particular baking recipe you're looking for.