Imagine that chocolate chip cookies and M&M’s candy had a baby. These M&M bars are that baby. They smell and taste just like a chocolate chip cookie/M&M candy mashup.
If you like bar recipes and what’s not to like, you get the goodness of cookies with the ease of just spreading dough into one pan and baking it, you might like lemon bars.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See disclosure policy.
Easy, M&M Cookie Bars Tips
One thing I love about these bars, besides their flavor and texture, is that you can make these bars in one bowl with a spatula. No mixer required.
You’ll melt butter in a microwave or on your stove top and while the butter is melting gather the rest of your ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, egg, egg yolk, white chocolate (optional) and M&M’s.
This one-bowl recipe yields bars that are both flaky and buttery with a bit of crunch from the M&M’s, which don’t get very melty in the oven.
I used a Valentine’s bag of M&M’s because it’s almost the big day. Hee Hee. What you thought the only big day was the Super Bowl? You thought wrong.
This recipe is from a 1994 edition of Taste of Home magazine. I tweaked it a bit by adding a 1/4 teaspoon more salt, for a total of 3/4 of a teaspoon and by adding a quarter cup of white chocolate.
I used Ghirardelli white chocolate disks but you can use anything you have. You could use semi-sweet or another type of chocolate if you don’t like white chocolate.
The white chocolate is optional, these bars will be great even with the M&M’s alone.
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup white chocolate, chopped
- 1 1.4 cup M&M candies, divided
- In a bowl, cream or mix melted butter, sugars and vanilla until fluffy. If using a stand mixer, about two minutes on medium.
- Add egg and egg yolk. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients-flour through baking soda and stir until flour has just been incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Add white chocolate and 1 cup of the M&M's candies. Stir into the dough until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into pan. Using your hands or a sheet of was paper, flatten dough until it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of M&M's over the top of the mix and press the candy firmly into the dough.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a cookie rack.
- Slice into bars or triangles. If slicing into bars, you should get approximately 36, slicing six rows horizontally and then six rows vertically. But, you made this pan of M&M's cookie bars, you slice 'em however big or small you want 'em.
What to Make with M&M’s?
Tell me what flavor of M&M’s is your favorite? I love the classic milk chocolate but I’m also partial to peanut M&M’s. The peanut butter flavor is okay too.
What are you baking?