Christmas Muddy Buddies are going to be the crunchy, salty, sweet hit of your holiday gathering.
Muddy Buddies are also known as puppy chow depending on where in the U.S. you are located.
No matter what you call it, the festive snack mix is Chex cereal or something similar, coated with chocolate and peanut butter and packed with tons of fun goodies.
This ‘can’t take just one handful’ treat is just loaded with Christmas treats - red and green sprinkles and M&Ms. The addition of bits of candy cane make it scream the holidays.
The salted pretzel is important to cut the sweetness a bit.
You might also like Pistachio Cranberry White Chocolate Bark.
During the holidays, you want to make things special for your family but you also want simple because you've got 36 hours to shop and wrap all the gifts, pick up Great Grandma and Grandpa at the airport and finish making a wise man costume for your youngest who is in a live manger scene at the church.
This is that special recipe you can whip up that your family will devour and remember year to year.
Puppy Chow Ingredients
- Chex cereal
- Peanut Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- White chocolate chips
- Holiday M&M's
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint Candy
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Muddy Buddies
- You'll melt butter and peanut butter together in a microwave or on a stovetop.
- Add chocolate chips and microwave in short intervals until chocolate is melted.
- Stir to ensure the butters and chocolate are well-mixed.
- Working in two batches, pour half of the peanut butter chocolate mixture over the cereal.
- Pour into a sturdy paper bag, add half the powdered sugar, close the bag and shake thoroughly.
- Pour the coated Chex mix into a large bowl and add half the add-ins on top--the M&M candies, the pretzels, the peppermint candy bits and anything else you're including.
- Repeat steps four and five with the remaining Chex cereal and chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Pour on top of the first layer of Christmas Muddy Buddies.
- Top this final layer with the last half of the pretzels, M&Ms, white chocolate chips, candy canes, and sprinkles.
- You can lay wax paper or parchment paper over a baking sheet if you'd like the holiday snack mix to cool faster than it would in large bowl.
Muddy Buddies Step by Step
Hint: The Christmas Muddy Buddies will be more or less chocolatey depending on how much Chex mix you use. Use six or seven cups of Chex cereal if you like a thicker chocolate. Add 10 to 11 cups of Chex cereal if you like a thinner chocolate coating.
- Butter - use margarine instead.
- Peanut Butter - swap with almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- Chex cereal - Use either Corn Chex or Rice Chex or another similar cereal.
- Peanut Version - add Peanut M&M's, salted peanuts and Reese's Pieces.
- Peppermint - add a quarter teaspoon peppermint extract instead of vanilla extract along with Andes peppermint baking chips and yogurt-covered pretzels chopped into bite-size pieces.
- Pistachio Cranberry - add chopped pistachio nuts and dried cranberries in place of the M&M's. Use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter. Melt white chocolate chips instead of chocolate chips.
You can make this festive snack mix on a stove top.
However, making puppy chow will be easier and faster in a microwave.
- Large Mixing Bowl (microwave safe)
- Rimmed baking sheet (optional)
Muddy Buddy Storage
Store this Muddy Buddy mix in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Run your hands over the bag you're using to coat the cereal with the chocolate peanut butter mixture to break up any big clumps of cereal that might be forming.
No. Either store the muddy buddies at room temperature or freeze them. Putting them in the fridge will make them soft. If freezing, cover with wax paper or put in a resealable container and put in a freezer safe container.
Put in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to three months.
There is no difference. Depending on what region of the country you live in, the cereal mix will be called one or the other.
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- * 12 ounces or 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate)
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- * 8 to 11 cups Chex cereal
- * 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- * 1 cup pretzels, chopped
- * ½ cup red and green M&Ms
- * ½ cup white chocolate chips
- * 1 cup candy canes, chopped
- * 2 tablespoons red and green sprinkles
1. In a microwave safe bowl melt the peanut butter and unsalted butter. Microwave for 20-second intervals and mix at each interval until both kinds of butters are melted.
2. Add in half of the chocolate chips to the peanut butter mixture and melt in the microwave. Microwave chocolate chips for 10 to 15-second intervals and mix at each interval until the chocolate is melted into the butters. Add in the rest of the chocolate chips and repeat the steps until everything is completely incorporated.
3. Add in the vanilla and stir.
4. In a large bowl add half of the cereal and pour mixture over the cream half of the peanut butter chocolate mixture over the cereal. Gently fold the melted chocolate into the cereal with a large spoon.
5. Once fully coated add the coated cereal and half of the powdered sugar to a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is fully coated. You may have to separate larger chunks by feeling from the outside of the bag. Just separate using your fingers on the outside of the bag. Shake again until all the pieces are coated. Pour these tasty coated cereal pieces into a large serving bowl.
6. Top this first layer with half of the: pretzels, M&Ms, white chocolate chips, candy canes, and sprinkles.
7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the second half of the coated cereal and powdered sugar.
8. Top this final layer with half of the: pretzels, M&Ms, white chocolate chips, candy canes, and sprinkles.
You can lay wax paper over a baking sheet if you'd like the Christmas muddy buddy to cool faster than it would in large bowl.
9. Store the room temperature in an airtight container for up two weeks.
Use any type of Chex cereal you like: Corn, Rice, Wheat or Chocolate.
You can also use Crispix or a store-brand cereal.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1419Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 24mgSodium 1178mgCarbohydrates 244gFiber 23gSugar 85gProtein 31g