White Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, thin, buttery and creamy treats, which are perfect as is or the perfect backdrop for customizing with your favorite flavors.
Ingredients in White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Chips--made from cocoa butter, sugar and milk solids. White chocolate must contain at least 20 percent cocoa butter. The rest of the ingredients include milk solids, sugar and lecithin, which is an emulsifier. I like to use Callebaut chips.
- Butter--adds tenderness and structure to the cookie dough. Use unsalted and room temperature.
- Granulated sugar-adds sweetness.
- Brown Sugar--adds sweetness and chew.
- Eggs--work as a binder and adds richness.
- Flour--holds all the ingredients together and determines thickness of cookies.
- Sea salt--enhances flavor.
- Baking powder--adds softness and affects a cookie's thickness.
- Baking soda--helps a cookie rise.
- Vanilla extract--adds flavor.
- Lemon Zest--adds flavor.
- Lemon juice--adds brightness and a bit of zing, especially in a rich cookie like this.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make These Cookies
Beat butter and sugars until lighter in color and fluffy.
Add eggs one a time and beat with butter and sugar.
Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
Put in white chocolate chips and stir.
Chill dough for at least an hour.
Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Use the dip and sweep method to measure your flour. Pour a few cups of flour into a bowl and fluff it up with a spoon. Now spoon flour into your measuring cup until slightly heaped. Then slide a butter knife or a bench scraper across the top of the measuring cup to remove the excess. Pour flour into your bowl.
Look for a white chocolate that has a high percentage of cocoa butter solids. Callebaut is a solid choice.
White chocolate doesn't actually contain chocolate. White chocolate is made of cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar and lecithin. Sometimes white chocolate contains vanilla.
White chocolate is like a blank slate.
The possibilities for flavor combinations are endless. You could add freeze dried raspberries for White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies.
- Christmasy - add a ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract with the vanilla extract. Replace half of the white chocolate chips with peppermint white chocolate baking chips if you can find them. Or chop up a cup of white chocolate peppermint Hershey Kisses and add to the dough.
- Coconut Lime - Swap the lemon juice and zest for ½ teaspoon lime juice and a teaspoon of lime zest. Add one cup of sweetened shredded coconut.
- Blueberry Lemon - Add a cup of freeze-dried blueberries when you add the white chocolate chips.
- Macadamia Nut - Stir in a cup of chopped macadamia nuts with the white chocolate chips. Macadamia is a classic flavor with white chocolate.
Hand mixer or stand mixer
Sturdy baking sheets
How to Store These Cookies
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
Freeze dough, either baked or unbaked, for up to three months, well wrapped. Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and then tuck into freezer-safe container.
More White Chocolate Recipes
Easy White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake is another good one.
- 2-½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) room temperature butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- two cups white chocolate chips
- Measure the dry ingredients from flour to kosher salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Cream room temperature butter until fluffy.
Cream the butter and sugar for 5 to 6 minutes with a stand mixer or up to ten minutes with a hand mixer or until mixture is pale and fluffy.
Add vanilla. lemon juice and zest and eggs. Mix for two more minutes or until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients--flour through salt--and mix on low speed until just combined and you don't see any white streaks of dough. Don't overmix here, your cookies will be tough. Mix in the white chocolate chips.
Put dough in a resealable bag or cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough for at least an hour.
When ready to bake, portion dough into scoops approximately 1-½ Tablespoons in size. I use a #40 scooper.
Bake 12 dough balls at a time on a parchment lined baking sheet, at 350 for 12 minutes. Oven temperatures vary so baking times are approximate.
Creaming the butter and sugar will take up to 10 minutes or possibly longer using a hand mixer or five to six minutes using a stand mixer.
The butter will become paler in color and fluffy once thoroughly creamed.
Don’t over bake these cookies. .
Pull the baking sheet out when the edges of the cookies have turned slightly golden. The tops of the cookies will still look a bit pale. Cookies will continue baking for a minute or two after you remove the pan from the oven.
Use a cookie scoop. I like a #40 purple scoop, which might be called an ice cream disher, for the majority of my cookies. This will give you a 2.5 inch cookie.
This post and/or recipe may contain affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I'll earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure policy.
Ankarsrum Assistent Original AKM 6230 Electric Stand Mixer, 7.4 Quart (Red)
Katbite 200Pcs 12x16 In Unbleached Parchment Paper for Baking, Precut Parchment Paper Sheets, Heavy Duty Flat Baking Paper, Half Sheet Baking Sheets for Baking Cookies, Cooking, Air Fryer, Oven
Reynolds Kitchens Cookie Baking Sheets, Pre-Cut Parchment Paper,25 Sheets (Pack of 4), 100 Total Sheets
Cuisinart HM-70 Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer, Silver
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel 17 ¼ x12 ¼ x1
Nutrition InformationYield 38 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 95Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 12mgSodium 79mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 1g
If you make this recipe please leave a comment and/or give the recipe a rating. Thanks! 🙂
If you make the recipe, tag me @kitchenserf on Instagram or Facebook or TikTok.