Easy Vanilla Almond Granola Recipe +
3 Reasons to Make Your Own
Easy Vanilla Almond Granola is crispy, crunchy, filling and makes a healthy breakfast or snack.
One of my intentions for every New Year is to reduce food waste if not eliminate it all together. So, I’m trying to look through the cupboards at least once a month to see what ingredients are starting to go by.
I had a package of slivered almonds languishing in my pantry and we were out of breakfast foods, so I whipped up a batch of Easy Vanilla Almond Granola yesterday.
My recipe, which is inspired from this one at Epicurious, makes about 8 cups.
If you’re feeding more than three, consider making a double batch. A day after I made this batch of granola, there was just a cup left, enough for the teenager’s breakfast.
Three Reasons to Make Your Own Granola
1. Homemade Flavor
What I love about making this dish is the quality of the finished product.
Homemade granola makes me feel like a gourmet cook when in reality, I just dumped a bunch of ingredients together and tossed it in the oven for a bit.
You will impress family, friends and overnight guests. Perhaps even your dog.
2. Inexpensive Breakfast or Snack
We have a woman in our community who has a national granola business.
Hers granola is so good. But it’s also $8 for a small bag. I can make several batches of this granola for under $10.
3. Nutrition Control
If you have any dietary restrictions, making your own granola is a no-brainer.
You can create exactly the number of proteins and fat grams and calories you need by making your own batch.
Bonus tip: Wear Shoes
A word of caution to my barefoot in the kitchen sisters and brothers. Either wear shoes while you’re making this or be very, very careful. I turned to laugh at something my husband said while I was cooking the hot oil and honey together on the stove. I whipped the spatula in the air while I was turning to laugh at him and blobs of hot liquid hit the top of my flip-flopped foot. Oh Mama Mia, Triple ouch. There’s nothing like a sugar burn, especially mixed with a dose of hot oil 🙂
Easy Vanilla Almond Granola would make a great family gift.
While I tend to make cookies and candy for holiday gifts, I really appreciate gourmet gifts that result in a special breakfast without any effort on my part.
Make a batch of this granola, pour it in a mason jar and affix a bow on top.
Do you make your own cereal? Do you have a recipe you’d share?
Easy Vanilla Almond Granola
- spritz vegetable oil spray
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar or vanilla sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract can use imitation
- Spray a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with cooking oil spray. Line pan with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, almonds, brown sugar and salt in a large heat-proof mixing bowl. Stir to combine
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Meanwhile, put vegetable oil, honey and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil while stirring then reduce heat to simmer until combined. (Be careful, this is hot sugar).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour oil/honey/sugar/vanilla mixture over the oat mixture and stir quickly to combine.
- Pour or spoon evenly over prepared sheet or pan and put in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes or so to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and let granola cool completely before packaging.