I made for you today an old-fashioned cookie called Forgotten Cookies, also known as Chocolate Cherry Pecan Studded Meringue Cookies! Yes, this meringue cookie recipe is as good as it sounds.
Meringue Cookies Recipe
I have had a fascination with meringue for as long as I can remember. I first fell in love with meringue in the form of meringue topping on my mommy dearest's lemon meringue pie. I adore lemon meringue pie and I'm ashamed to say I haven't made it in many, many years.
My teenager has inherited my love of meringue. He adores French macaron cookies.
I'm still working up my nerve to make macarons.
In the meantime, I thought I would try a recipe I found in Bon Appetit for Forgotten Cookies.
At least I think the recipe was in Bon Appetit. I forget. 😉
Forgotten Cookies are a meringue cookie filled with anything you like-dried fruit, chocolate or nuts.
Or all of the above as I've done with this recipe: bittersweet chocolate chips, dried sour cherries and toasted, chopped pecans.
These meringue cookies are called Forgotten Cookies because after ten minutes of baking, the cookies are left to rest in an oven overnight.
Meringue Cookie Tips
My best advice to you is to make sure that your bowl and other tools are scrupulously clean. I was taught that even one speck of dirt or oil can keep your egg whites from achieving billowy, airy, greatness.
You want to use a whisk attachment with your mixer for this recipe. The tines on a whisk help the egg whites obtain a foamy texture.
If you don't have an electric mixer, you can make meringue by hand but be sure you're using a whisk with thin tines to do so.
Unlike making whipped cream when implements and ingredients need to be ice cold, meringue works best when you work with room temperature egg whites.
Frequently Asked Questions about Meringue Cookies
How Long Do Meringue Cookies Last?
Meringue cookies will last two weeks if stored at room temperature in an airtight container. However, I don't think I recall a time that any cookie lasted two weeks at our house.
I have glass food storage containers similar to these.
Do Meringue Cookies Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, meringue cookies don't need to be refrigerated as long as you're storing them in an airtight container.
If you're going to stack meringue cookies for storage, I recommend using parchment paper to separate the layers.
How Do I know When I've Beat the Meringue Long Enough?
The meringue will form stiff peaks, like little, picturesque mountain tops in the egg white/sugar mixture.
You'll be able to remove your whisk from your mixer and turn it upside down and have the meringue hold its shape.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature (¼ cup egg whites)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or superfine sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ dried cherries
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup toasted, chopped pecansI
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer, on medium speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar, about a quarter cup a time, with the mixer running. Beat thoroughly so that the sugar dissolves into the egg white mixture.
- Once sugar is thoroughly dissolved, add vanilla and beat briefly to combine. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl and the sides so that all the sugar gets incorporated.
- Beat mixture at high speed until stiff peaks form. Depending on how powerful your mixer is, the amount of time this takes will vary. This took me about five minutes.
- Add chocolate, cherries and pecans. Mix to combine.
- Drop by spoonfuls on two parchment lined baking sheets. You'll need two half-sheet pans to bake the cookies In a preheated 350 degree oven, You'll be able to fit a dozen spoonfuls of meringue cookie on each sheet.
- Bake for ten minutes then turn the oven off and leave the cookies inside the oven overnight. Do not open the door to peak at them.
- Enjoy a Forgotten cookie the next morning with a cup of your preferred poison--i.e. coffee or tea or whatever, I don't judge.
- Package the rest of the cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for two weeks.
This post and/or recipe may contain affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I'll earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure policy.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 61Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 12mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g
Tell me your deepest, darkest thoughts and feels about meringue, especially meringue cookies?
I find people either love meringue cookies or hate them.
Have you ever heard of Forgotten cookies?
Have you attempted macarons?