Well, hello baker. How is it going today? I am covered in chocolate. I chopped eight ounces of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate for these Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies and I managed to get some smeared on my fingers, my shirt, the cutting board and the parchment paper I used to bake the cookies.
But it's okay because chocolate = my happy place.
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe
I've made a lot of chocolate cookies in my near five decades but this is probably the recipe I'm happiest with. The cookies are light--not too dense the way some chocolate chip cookies can turn out.
These cookies are chewy, even after they've been sitting on the cookie sheet cooling for hours. But, I jest. They aren't going to last that long. These cookies will fill your kitchen with the fragrance of chocolate and vanilla and melted butter and then you'll find yourself calling in sick to work and plowing through the batch with a cup of dark roast. Or milk or tea or perhaps a glass of vino? These cookies go with All The Beverages. Trust me, I know.
The recipe is inspired from How Sweet Eats recipe for Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies. But I've tweaked it a bit.
Cookies for Cops
Unfortunately, this batch of Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies didn't stay at my house. I delivered them to our local sheriff's office as a thank you. In my day job I'm having to constantly harass these poor uniformed souls for information about accidents and investigations. I know they dread my calls. So, the least I can do is bake and deliver an occasional batch of cookies.
I really think food, especially in the form of cookies, is the best gift one can give. Sugar just makes people happy. It's magic.
During December I try to bake and give away batches and batches and batches of cookies. I'm off to a strong start this year since it isn't even December 1 for two more days! I've gotten a good head start on my thank you's.
Recipe and Nutrition Information
- ¾ cup melted butter, a stick and a half
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat melted butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, at least five minutes.
- Add eggs until just combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Add chopped chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill at least two hours, preferably 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Scoop dough using your favorite cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325F for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Let cookies rest on sheet for two minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Who did you bake your last batch of cookies for? Do you ever bake for your local public safety officials? Leave a comment! I so appreciate each and every one and I appreciate you stopping by 🙂