You can return food to the grocery store if it's gone bad or you tried it and you don't like it. Don't be shy about returning items that have expired or you don't care for.
Food has always been too expensive to just toss if it's already bad when you buy it and get it home.
Or you get home and realize the product is expired.
The same is true if you've opened the package and taken a bite and it just sucks.
Take it all back.
But especially now that inflation has hit food prices hard.
Also, you'll be doing the store a service by letting it know there's an issue.
Maybe they need to know that product isn't being rotated properly.
Or perhaps several customers have returned the same item so they've been able to notify the manufacturer or a serious issue that might lead to a recall.
Tips for Grocery Store Returns
- Keep your receipts. But many stores will accept returns without a receipt.
- Pay with a debit card. If you lose your receipt, a store these days can often look up your transaction using your card.
- Your return should Include the original packaging if possible.
- Try to return the food as soon as possible but ideally within 7 to 14 days.
- Familiarize yourself with return policies of the food stores you frequent. Hannaford, for example, will give you double your money back if you're dissatisfied with store brand products, including Hannaford brand AND the fancier Taste of Inspirations.
- Generally stores want products returned within a 7 to 14 day window but some policies are more generous.
Can I Return Food to Walmart?
Yes, you can return food to Walmart with a receipt within 90 days and receive a refund or make an exchange for a different item.
Receive a refund on produce, fresh flowers, meat, bakery, deli, dairy & frozen* items with a receipt. Start a return on the Walmart app, online at Walmart.com/returns, or in your account on Business.Walmart.com. Some items may not be returnable but may be refundable.
"We will accept refunds or returns for poor quality, damage from bagging errors or wrong items. We will also honor our policies for pricing and cashier errors and accidental double scans. To return or exchange incorrect items, please bring the product and your receipt to any Hannaford store for processing."
Yes, Aldi does accept returns. In fact, Aldi has a "Twice As Nice Guarantee," which means not only will the store replace your item, it will refund your money as well.
Walmart has a freshness guaranty. This means that if your perishable Walmart groceries don’t live up to your freshness expectations, you can ask for a refund for the items, with a receipt, within 90 days of purchase.
Are you trying to save money on food?
Check out these recipes: