Cookie Monster Cookies are thick, soft chocolate chip cookies made with blue food coloring, mini Oreo cookies and mini Chips Ahoy.
These blue cookies are a must make for cookie monsters big and small.
These monster cookies would be a good choice for a child's birthday party dessert if you wanted to skip the icing smeared walls and sticky body parts that a cake usually entails.
This recipe was inspired by a TikTok post.
These are easy cookies to make.
If you can make a batch of chocolate chip cookies, these will be fine for you.
You're basically making a batch of chocolate chip cookies, adding blue food dye then mixing in the chocolate chips and a cup each of miniature Oreo cookies and miniature Chips Ahoy.
You'll want to reserve a few Oreo and Chips Ahoy for garnishing the top halfway through baking to get them to look like the picture.
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- blue food coloring (see note)
- Royal blue
- Electric blue
- chocolate chips
- mini Oreos
- mini Chips Ahoy
See recipe card for quantities.
Blue food coloring: I combined the following Americolor gel pastes to get the Cookie Monster blue:
- Electric Blue --three to four drops
- Royal Blue--two to three drops
- Violet--two to three drops
Add it directly to the cookie dough before you add the chocolate chips and the mini cookies.
This color formula comes from Amy at House of Nash Eats who got the original combination came from a professional cookier doing business as Flour Power Baked Goods.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs in to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined.
- Add drops of food coloring and mix until an even color is reached.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Stir in mini Oreos and mini Chips Ahoy.
- Use a teaspoon or a cookie scoop to portion out balls of dough not a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 12 at a time spaced two to three inches apart at 350 for 12 minutes or until edges are set.
Hint: Pull the cookies out after five minutes of baking to top them with the additional mini cookies and pieces and then return the cookie sheet to the oven to finish baking for another five to 7 minutes.
There aren't a ton of variations for this cookie recipe.
You either want to make blue Cookie Monster cookies or you don't.
However, you could change it up a little by wrapping the dough around a miniature Oreo or a miniature Chips Ahoy cookie so there's a surprise inside.
If you do that, you'll need to make your cookies a bit larger and increase the baking time by two to three minutes.
- You could also stick a chocolate disk inside the dough to make the cookie that much more chocolatey.
- Another variation would be changing up the mix-ins.
- Add peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips.
- Crush peanut butter cookies or pecan sandies in place of the mini Oreos and mini Chips Ahoy.
You'll need an electric mixer for this recipe because you're starting with cold butter and will need to cream it with sugars.
Get a nice round cookie by using a cookie scoop instead of a teaspoon.
Store blue monster cookies for up to five days in an airtight container.
You can freeze these cookies for up to three months in a freezer safe container.
Don't over bake these cookies!
Take them out of the oven before the cookie edges turn golden.
The cookies will continue baking on the cookie sheet once you remove it from the oven.
- 1 cup cold butter, sliced into several pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- Two cups chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
- 1 cup mini Oreos (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup mini Chips Ahoy (plus more for garnish)
- Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl.
Cream butter at medium high speed in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer or using a stand mixer until the pieces have combined into a smooth, creamy mixture.
This will take two minutes in a stand mixer, longer using a hand mixer.
Add sugars and beat for two more minutes until combined.
Beat in eggs.
Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Add blue food coloring. Mix until food coloring is combined without any streaks of color remaining.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Finally add the mini Oreos and mini Chips Ahoy until combined.
Portion onto a parchment lined baking sheet using a cookie scoop or teaspoon.
You shoulc have about two tablepoons of dough per cookie.
Bake 12 cookie dough balls at a time. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until edges are set.
Optional: crush a few tablespoons of remaning Oreos and Chips ahoy. Pull cookies out halfway through baking time and top with crushed cookies. Return pan to oven to finish baking.
Let cookies cool on a wire rack before storing.
Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 25mgSodium 157mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 3g