Do you need a graham cracker substitute for s’mores?
Have you ever gone camping and run out of graham crackers?
You can make delicious s’mores without grahams.
How to Make S’mores Without Graham Crackers:
What Can I Substitute for Graham Crackers in Smores?
(This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission. See Disclosure)
I’ve been making s’mores with cookies instead of graham crackers for my entire adult life.
I remember camping with my husband back when we were still dating. That was a quarter century ago!
Husband was quite impressed with me when we ran out of graham crackers for our s’mores and I handed him a Nutter Butter cookie to use instead.
Sweet Graham Cracker Substitutes for S’mores
- French bread (my favorite, think of a low budget version of a chocolate croissant with roasted marshmallow. You can toast the bread or not. Butter optional. We made these last weekend. Husband thought I was nuts until he ate one.)
For cookies to use for s’mores I recommend a cookie that’s thin and crispy or thin and chewy.
Thinner cookies will be an easier graham substitute. You’ll be sandwiching toasted marshmallow and a chocolate bar between them.
Thick puffy cookies will be hard to get in your mouth once you’ve got the s’mores additions on them.
Or you could make an open-faced s’more by just layering a chocolate bar on the cookie and topping with a melty marshmallow.
They are super easy to make and kind of fun. It would be a good project to do with children.
- Chocolate chip
- Nutter Butters
- Homemade Gingersnaps
- Anna’s Ginger thins
- Vintage Sugar Cookies
- Thin Mints
- Oatmeal Scotchies
- Fudge Striped Cookies
- Frosted Animal Crackers
- Keebler Fudge Stripes Lemon Cream Pie flavor
- Keebler Fudge Stripes Strawberry Shortcake flavor
More Graham Cracker Substitutes
- Broken ice cream cones (waffle or sugar cones would work best)
- Tortillas (flour or corn would work) Maybe deep fry them first??
- Strawberry slices (use a large or jumbo-sized strawberry and slice it vertically. This might be messier than most versions.)
- Pound cake slices (like with brownies, two slices of pound cake glued together with marshmallow and chocolate might be too big of a mouthful but you could always use one slice for a topless s’more.)
- Waffles (homemade or frozen, just toast first. I haven’t tried this yet but it sounds really good.)
- Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, Chocolate Chip 18-pack
- Brownies (two slices of brownie melded together with marshmallow and chocolate might be too much of a mouthful. You could just use one brownie as a base)
- Donuts (you may need to slice in half horizontally.)
- Pancakes (blueberry flavor?)
Savory Graham Cracker Substitutes for S’mores
- Ritz crackers
- Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps
- Potato chips (think chocolate covered potato chips. Potato chips with ridges would probably be best.)
- Pringles (my personal favorite, salty and sweet is a winning combo!)
What Cracker for S’mores
It seems that the history of s’mores is a bit murky but related to Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. The first mention anyone has found of s’mores was in a girl scout book called Tramping and Trailing.
Do you need your own fire ring for backyard s’mores making whenever the urge strikes? This is a budget option.
Want to read this post later?
I’ve got more recipes you’ll like if you’re a s’mores fan.
Your turn: tell me your favorite method of making s’mores!