Do you need a graham cracker substitute or alternative for smores?
Have you ever gone camping and run out of graham crackers?
You can make delicious s’mores without grahams.
How to Make S’mores Without Graham Crackers:
What Can I Substitute for Graham Crackers in Smores?
(This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission. See Disclosure)
I’ve been making s’mores with cookies instead of graham crackers for my entire adult life.
I remember camping with my husband back when we were still dating. That was a quarter century ago!
Husband was quite impressed with me when we ran out of graham crackers for our s’mores and I handed him a Nutter Butter cookie to use instead.
Sweet Graham Cracker Substitutes for S’mores
- French bread (my favorite, think of a low budget version of a chocolate croissant with roasted marshmallow. You can toast the bread or not. Butter optional. We made these last weekend. Husband thought I was nuts until he ate one.)
For cookies to use for s’mores I recommend a cookie that’s thin and crispy or thin and chewy.
Thinner cookies will be an easier graham substitute. You’ll be sandwiching toasted marshmallow and a chocolate bar between them.
Thick puffy cookies will be hard to get in your mouth once you’ve got the s’mores additions on them.
Or you could make an open-faced s’more by just layering a chocolate bar on the cookie and topping with a melty marshmallow.
They are super easy to make and kind of fun. It would be a good project to do with children.
- Chocolate chip
- Nutter Butters
- Homemade Gingersnaps
- Anna’s Ginger thins
- Vintage Sugar Cookies
- Thin Mints
- Oatmeal Scotchies
- Fudge Striped Cookies
- Frosted Animal Crackers
- Keebler Fudge Stripes Lemon Cream Pie flavor
- Keebler Fudge Stripes Strawberry Shortcake flavor
More Graham Cracker Substitutes
- Broken ice cream cones (waffle or sugar cones would work best)
- Tortillas (flour or corn would work) Maybe deep fry them first??
- Strawberry slices (use a large or jumbo-sized strawberry and slice it vertically. This might be messier than most versions.)
- Pound cake slices (like with brownies, two slices of pound cake glued together with marshmallow and chocolate might be too big of a mouthful but you could always use one slice for a topless s’more.)
- Waffles (homemade or frozen, just toast first. I haven’t tried this yet but it sounds really good.)
- Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, Chocolate Chip 18-pack
- Brownies (two slices of brownie melded together with marshmallow and chocolate might be too much of a mouthful. You could just use one brownie as a base)
- Donuts (you may need to slice in half horizontally.)
- Pancakes (blueberry flavor?)
Savory Graham Cracker Substitutes for S’mores
- Ritz crackers
- Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps
- Potato chips (think chocolate covered potato chips. Potato chips with ridges would probably be best.)
- Pringles (my personal favorite, salty and sweet is a winning combo!)
What Cracker for S’mores
It seems that the history of s’mores is a bit murky but related to Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. The first mention anyone has found of s’mores was in a girl scout book called Tramping and Trailing.
Do you need your own fire ring for backyard s’mores making whenever the urge strikes? This is a budget option.
Want to read this post later?
I’ve got more recipes you’ll like if you’re a s’mores fan.
Your turn: tell me your favorite method of making s’mores!