Easy, M&M’s Cookie Bars Recipe
Imagine that chocolate chip cookies and M&M’s candy had a baby. These bars are that baby. They smell and taste just like a chocolate chip cookie/M&M candy mashup. This post contains affiliate links. See disclosure. Note, this post is not sponsored by M&M’s Candies, I just love M&M’s.
Even better, you can make these bars in one bowl with a spatula. No mixer required. You’ll melt butter in a microwave or on your stove top and while the butter is melting, you can gather the rest of your ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, egg, egg yolk, white chocolate (optional) and M&M’s. Bonus points if you use a holiday colored M&M’s.
Easy, Chewy M&M’s Cookie Bars are both flaky and buttery with a bit of crunch from the M&M’s, which don’t get very melty in the oven.
I used a Valentine’s bag of M&M’s because it’s almost the big day. Hee Hee. What you thought the only big day was the Super Bowl? You thought wrong.
This recipe is from a 1994 edition of Taste of Home magazine. I tweaked it a bit by adding a 1/4 teaspoon more salt, for a total of 3/4 of a teaspoon and by adding a quarter cup of white chocolate.
I used Ghirardelli white chocolate disks but you can use anything you have. You could use semi-sweet or another type of chocolate if you don’t like white chocolate.
The white chocolate is optional, these bars will be great even with the M&M’s alone.
Easy, Chewy M&M's Cookie Bars Recipe
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chopped
- 1 1.4 cup M&M candies divided
- In a bowl, cream or mix melted butter, sugars and vanilla until fluffy. If using a stand mixer, about two minutes on medium. Add egg and egg yolk. Mix to combine.Add dry ingredients-flour through baking soda and stir until flour has just been incorporated. Don't over mix.Add white chocolate and 1 cup of the M&M's candies. Stir into the dough until combined.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Spray 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.Scoop dough into pan. Using your hands or a sheet of was paper, flatten dough until it covers the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of M&M's over the top of the mix and press the candy firmly into the dough.Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a cookie rack.Slice into bars or triangles. If slicing into bars, you should get approximately 36, slicing six rows horizontally and then six rows vertically. But, you made this pan of M&M's cookie bars, you slice 'em however big or small you want 'em.
What to Make with M&M’s?
Tell me what flavor of M&M’s is your favorite? I love the classic milk chocolate but I’m also partial to peanut M&M’s. The peanut butter flavor is okay too.
What are you baking?