Sponge for Washing Dishes: What not to Buy
A sponge that stinks is one of my pet peeves. And the men in the family always seem to leave the scrubber in a sink full of water, which makes it start smelling faster.
We don’t have a dishwasher so kitchen scrubbers get a lot of use in our house.
When I saw the green silicone model shown in the photo at my favorite store for cooks I got excited. I was sure the silicone model would be the solution. The description on the tag said “stay clean.” The silicone supposedly keeps bacteria from setting up shop.
- It did stay clean and fresh-smelling. But that’s all it did.
- This scrubber doesn’t get dishes clean. I found myself rewashing plates.
- I had to use a lot more force to get the dishes clean.
- I used a lot more dish soap than usual because the soap seemed to slide right off the scrubber.
- Cost, this model is $8. My favorite sponge is $1 at my favorite kitchen store.
Tell me your dirty dish woes. Do you have a dishwasher or do you scrub by hand? What do you like to use? Are you one of those don’t go to bed with dirty sink people? I wish I was but I have no problems going to sleep with dirty dishes, none at all. 🙂 What kind of detergent do you like to use?