I’m so glad you stopped by. Can you smell the dark roast coffee I just brewed? Sit down and I’ll pour you a cup. Strong, hot coffee goes perfectly with the lemon bar recipe, a sweet, tart, zesty and easy dessert, I’m going to share with you.
Lemon bars are one of my most favorite desserts. Of course, I’m in love with any and all citrus. Grapefruit halves, key lime pie, mojitos with fresh lime, sign me up.
This lemon bar recipe, which uses just-squeezed juice and grated zest always makes me feel like I’m somewhere fancy having high tea.
I’ve been making these lemon bars for years. I found the recipe in a 1999 Cooking Light magazine.
But don‘t worry about the recipe coming from a healthy cooking magazine, these lemon bars are decadent. Even better, they come together quickly.
Lemon Bar Recipe Tips:
You’ll make the crust first. While it’s baking for 15 minutes, mix the filling.
Don’t worry if the filling seems really runny once you pour it in the crust. The bars will set up fine in the oven.
This recipe makes one 8 x 8 pan, which is not nearly enough for my giant family of three who can devour multiple bars in one sitting. So, I always double the ingredients and bake it in a 13 x 9 pan.
The original recipe calls for two teaspoons of grated lemon zest. I like a really intense lemon flavor so I usually use a tablespoon of zest for the 8 x 8 pan or two tablespoons if I’m doubling the ingredients for the 13 x 9 version.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Powdered sugar to sift over the top
- Make crust:
- Beat sugar and butter in medium bowl until creamy. Add 1 cup of flour, beating at low speed until mixture turns to a fine crumb.
- Gently press crumb mixture into an 8 x 8 square baking pan. (I often lay parchment paper in the pan to ensure no sticking.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes then cool on wire rack.
- While crust is baking, make the filling.
- Beat eggs at medium speed until foamy. Add remaining ingredients, sugar through salt, and beat until well blended.
- Pour into crust and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes until set. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares. Dust with powdered sugar.
Please let me know if you try this lemon bar recipe. Do you have a favorite citrus bar recipe you’d share? Leave a link in the comments.