My heart almost stopped beating:
After one bite, Mr. 11’s response to Kid-Approved Quinoa Chili was “mom, this is really good,” which is high praise indeed from a middle-schooler about a super healthy dish.
This recipe is inspired from The Kitchn’s One Pan Mexican Quinoa, which I made and loved but thought it tasted more like chili. So I added some spice and tomato sauce to make this even more like chili.
I had high hopes for this recipe because Southwestern Quinoa is one of my favorite summer salads. Plus, one of my cooking goals is to incorporate more meatless meals into my rotation to save money and ingest more of the green stuff.
I paid $4.99 at my organic store for about a pound of organic black quinoa, only half of which I used in this recipe. There are 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber in a cup of black quinoa so it’s a pretty filling dish when combined with beans and veggies.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno diced fine (I included the seeds)
- 2 cups black organic quinoa (you can use regular if you like)
- 1-14.5-ounce can chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-15-ounce can black beans or kidney beans (your preference)
- 1-14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomato
- 1 cup white corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1-8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro for toppings
- Heat oil in a large skillet (I used my cast-iron)
- Saute garlic and jalapeno for a minute
- Now comes the easy part:
- Dump remaining ingredients quinoa through salt in skillet
- Cover skillet and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until cooked through
- Serve with favorite toppings, including tortillas or cornbread
What’s your favorite quinoa recipe? What kind of recipes do you make for your kids? Does your family subscribe to the “no thank you bite” rule or “clean your plate or else rule?” Tell me in the comments.
p.s. I’m a co-host this week at Foodie Friends Friday. There are lots of good recipes so come on over and check it out.